Planning to create a general website is not sufficient to capture the attention of online visitors either. You need to keep the following points under consideration, while creating an effective website for your business:
- Choice of web host and domain name – Before you even start thinking about the right web design for your website, make sure that you are using a reliable web host. Choosing a domain name that is indicative of your nature of business is also necessary. The domain should, ideally, contain your principal keyword.
- Go for a neat, simple layout – Choose a professional-looking background shade, a free font, font color, and have a smart overall website design, to make a favorable first impression on visitors.
- Facilitate easy navigation – Make sure that viewers can find the information they are looking for quickly and easily on your website. Have properly placed, clickable tabs on each of the pages, and make sure that there are no broken links. Having a sitemap is also important to make sure that the visitors can easily check out all the sections of the website. The sitemap would also help in your SEO endeavors!
- Prepare neat, SEO-friendly page titles – Have you ever come across pages on ecommerce portals that have pretty nice website designs – but long, confusing titles? Such titles (which generally also have special characters) can hamper the online visibility of the concerned pages. Instead, prepare such titles that provide clear indication of the type of information that each of the pages contain. Ideally, place a relevant keyword in the title.
- Have images and videos – According to research results, average web users read through a maximum of 28% of the total number of words on your web pages. So, avoid lengthy pieces of textual content, which no one would have the patience to read. Incorporate images (with proper ALT descriptions), videos and infographics, to retain the interest of the visitors.
- Update your content regularly – Websites with outdated content are automatically deemed to be of ‘low-quality’ by Google. Make sure that you update your web content at frequent intervals. Together with user friendly website designs, such unique, informative and relevant content would lend a dynamic feel to your website. Include a blog section as well.
- Avoid flash banners and animated ads – Colorful flash banners are easy on the eye – but they can make a website slow. Having a website that is ‘top heavy’ with sponsored ads is also not advisable, according to the latest SEO regulations. Do not have any element in your website that can adversely affect its performance.
You should also have a proper mobile website design in place, to ensure easy accessibility of your website. Prepare engaging profile pages on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and LinkedIn – and connect them to your website. Your website is the face of your business online –so follow the correct professional website design norms.